The Port of Virginia will invest $350 million to expand and optimize Norfolk International Terminals (NIT) over the next three years. As we prepare for this work to begin, changes are occurring across our terminals, including the relocation of Atlantic Container Lines’ vessels from NIT to Portsmouth Marine Terminal (PMT).
On Tuesday, April 4, 2017, important changes will take effect for customers using NIT’s and PMT’s Cargo Divisions for the terminal handling of BREAKBULK CARGO. Breakbulk cargo is considered to be any freight that is not transported on an ocean carrier’s ISO equipment (container, flat-rack, mafi, etc.) If you have a question as to whether your freight falls into the breakbulk category, please contact the NIT Cargo Division at 757-440-7048, or the PMT Cargo Division at 757-391-6123.
Effective April 4, reservations will be required to deliver or receive breakbulk cargo at both NIT and PMT. For trucks scheduled to arrive on, or after, Tuesday, April 4th, NIT’s/PMT’s Cargo Division Teams must be informed of the planned arrival date.
- Breakbulk truck deliveries and pickups (imports and exports) must be scheduled by calling…
- An email confirmation will be sent once the reservation is set
- Email requests for reservations WILL NOT be accepted (a call is required)
- NIT – 757-440-7048
- PMT – 757-391-6123
- The cutoff for requesting a reservation is 2:00 p.m. the day prior to truck arrival
- For a Monday reservation, the cutoff is 2:00 p.m. on the Friday prior
- Reservations may be requested well in advance of actual arrival
- Cancellations MUST be received by phone, no later than 2:00 p.m. day prior
- Ex. Cancelling a Tuesday reservation must be accomplished by 2:00 p.m. on Monday
- “No Show” reservations will be monitored and logged and may require future corrective actions
- Trucks do not have to schedule a specific time of day for the reservation, but MUST check-in at…
- NIT’s Cargo office no later than 3:00 p.m. on the day of the reservation
- PMT’s breakbulk staging area on Lee Avenue no later than 3:00 p.m. on the day of the reservation
- Both NIT’s and PMT’s Cargo Divisions operate from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
- Drivers MUST check-in by 3:00 p.m. to guarantee same-day service (NIT and PMT)
Thank you for your business and for your attention to this new process. You may contact the NIT (757-440-7048) or PMT Cargo Divisions (757-391-6123) (email@example.com), or a member of the Customer Service Team, with questions.