The Port of Virginia is currently open and operating, following standard hours at all terminals and offices.
In the interest of diligence and safety, we continue to monitor the forecast track of Hurricane Dorian, as it tracks along the East Coast. You can find the latest updates here: The National Hurricane Center.
As with all tropical systems, a high degree of variability exists. Southeastern Virginia is preparing for the possibility of tropical storm force winds and heavy rain beginning on Thursday evening, Sept. 5, through Friday morning, Sept. 6.
- At 1900 hours tonight, Sept. 4, the U.S. Coast Guard, Captain of the Port, will declare port condition YANKEE for Hampton Roads, meaning sustained gale force winds are expected at the Virginia Capes within 24 hours
- At 1600 hours tomorrow, Sept. 5, the U.S. Coast Guard, Captain of the Port, will declare port condition ZULU for Hampton Roads, meaning sustained gale force winds are expected at the Virginia Capes within 12 hours
- With the declaration of port condition ZULU, the main shipping channel will be closed and vessel movements will be restricted
- No vessel movements, within the port, after 1600 hours on Thursday, Sept. 5
- The declaration of ZULU does not restrict landside terminal operations – truck and rail operations may continue, at the discretion of the terminal operator
- A decision regarding landside operating status (truck and rail processing) for Friday, Sept. 6 will be announced by midday tomorrow, Sept. 5
The “Maritime Severe Weather Contingency Plan” will help you understand actions taken, and conditions declared, by the Coast Guard: Hampton Roads Maritime Severe Weather Contingency Plan
As for conditions and operating status at our terminals, please bookmark the following page on our website – Port of Virginia Operations Alerts. Contact our Customer Service Team here and by phone at 757-440-7160.
With safety as our top priority, we value our role as stewards of your cargo. We commit to keeping you informed as this weather system progresses. Updates will be posted for the duration of the event.