We continue to monitor the track of Hurricane Michael, as it impacts the Southeastern United States. You can find the latest updates here: The National Hurricane Center.
At this time, all Port of Virginia terminals and offices are following standard operating schedules. As always, the safety of our colleagues, partners and assets will drive our decisions.
The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a “High Wind Warning” for Southeastern Virginia, effective from 6:00 p.m. today, Oct. 11, through 12:00 noon on Friday, Oct. 12. According to the NWS, “Wind gusts of 55 to 60 mph are possible.” Forecasts call for up to four inches of rain during this time period.
With the expectation of high, gusting winds overnight, from Thursday into Friday, truck gate hours at Virginia International Gateway (VIG) will be adjusted as follows:
- Friday, Oct. 12 – VIG’s 0100 hours opening will be DELAYED until 0500 hours
- VIG, NIT and the PPCY will all open at 0500 hours on Oct. 12**
- Mandatory PRO-PASS TRS hours remain in effect at VIG and NIT, per standard practice
- All other Port of Virginia terminals and offices will observe normal, posted operating hours
- ** Wind and weather conditions will be assessed in the early morning hours on Oct. 12 – operational changes will be communicated through established channels (if necessary)
As a precautionary measure, the U.S. Coast Guard, Captain of the Port, has declared port condition YANKEE for Hampton Roads. The “Maritime Severe Weather Contingency Plan” will help you understand actions taken, and conditions declared, by the Coast Guard: 2018 Port of HR Maritime Severe Weather Contingency Plan
To monitor conditions and operating status at our terminals, please bookmark the following page on our website – Port of Virginia Operations Alerts. Contact our Customer Service Team here and by phone at 757-440-7160.
You may subscribe to port text alerts by following the instructions at this link: Subscribe To Port Text Alerts
With safety as our top priority, we value our role as stewards of your cargo. We commit to keeping you informed as this weather system progresses. Updates will be posted for the duration of the event.