The PRO-PASS Truck Reservation System (TRS) continues to gain momentum, producing measurable improvements in the overall trucking experience at both Norfolk International Terminals (NIT) and Virginia International Gateway (VIG). On Thursday, August 16, mandatory TRS hours at VIG will be expanded from 0200 hours (gate opening) – 0800 hours, Monday – Friday.
In conjunction with the expanded TRS hours at VIG, we are pleased to announce important process changes to the publication of the port’s “Empty Return Policy Matrix.” These changes, made with the support of our ocean carrier customers, are intended to assist the trucking community as they book TRS slots up to two days in advance.
As of Friday, August 24, the following changes will take effect:
- Exclusive access to the Empty Return Policy Matrix will be obtained via propassva.com
- A registered PRO-PASS account (free) will be required to view the daily report
- The report will no longer be posted to track.portofvirginia.com
Historically, the port has published the Empty Return Matrix at 1500 hours, Monday – Friday, providing terminal specific empty return instructions for the following working day.
As of August 24, the daily report will provide empty return instructions for the second day, as follows:
- Friday, Aug. 24 at 1500 hours – Saturday’s, Monday’s and Tuesday’s empty return instructions are posted
- Monday, Aug. 27 at 1500 hours – Wednesday’s empty return instructions are posted
- Tuesday, Aug. 28 at 1500 hours – Thursday’s empty return instructions are posted
- Wednesday, Aug. 29 at 1500 hours – Friday’s empty return instructions are posted
- Thursday, Aug. 30 at 1500 hours – Saturday’s empty return instructions are posted
- Friday, Aug. 31 at 1500 hours – Monday’s and Tuesday’s empty return instructions are posted
We believe that earlier access to empty return instructions will expand the effectiveness of the TRS initiative, enabling our trucking partners to engage in a greater degree of advanced planning.
Thank you for your continued support of The Port of Virginia. We appreciate your business.