Port of Virginia Maritime Emergency Responders,
The United States Coast Guard – Sector Hampton Roads – and The Port of Virginia Maritime Incident Response Team are pleased to announce the 13th annual Steven Todd Dooley Search and Rescue (SAR) Forum to be held from February 25 – March 1, 2019, at the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina in Hampton, Virginia.
The 2019 SAR agenda will follow the same format as in previous years, including classroom sessions, practical and advanced practical evolutions, two nighttime evolutions and one daylight SAR exercise. A Leadership and 9-11 Communications track is planned to provide information to regional command and dispatch staff. Vendors will be on-hand throughout the week to provide resources and technical assistance to vessel crews.
The Crowne Plaza Hotel is located at 700 Settlers Landing Rd., Hampton, VA, 23669. The phone number is 1-866-375-6054, group name: VPA 2019 SAR Symposium. Lunch will be provided Monday – Friday and dinner will be provided on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Rooms have been blocked for the event at $93.00 a night. The SAR Forum agenda will be provided, via email, in advance of the event. For now, plan on the following time frames:
- Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 25 – Feb 26: 0800-1700 hours
(Please note, Monday afternoon is scheduled to include underway instruction. Plan your vessel’s arrival accordingly)
- Wednesday and Thursday, February 27 -28: 0800-2300 hours
- Friday, March 1: 0800-1400 hours
All participants are strongly encouraged to book hotel rooms for both Wednesday and Thursday nights due to the scheduled nighttime evolutions. Cut –off date for room rates is Friday, February 18, 2019. Fifteen hour days on Wednesday and Thursday make commuting difficult and impractical.
Fee: There is no charge for this training.
- Limited to 24 vessels with up to four crew members per vessel.
- Two vessel limit per agency unless otherwise approved.
- A separate registration form will be required for each vessel.
- If participants wish to attend without providing a vessel, leave vessel information blank on the registration form and state no vessel in comments section.
- Participants will be assigned to open slots on other vessels.
- Participating vessels should be at least 23 feet in length and have the ability to operate in cold weather / rough seas / nighttime conditions.
- Click on the registration link www.memberplanet.com/events/mirt/searchandrescueforum and complete registration form for each vessel and crew no later than February 18, 2019
- Please ensure all fields are completed, allowing the staff to adequately prepare the resources to
meet everyone’s needs.
As stated, the SAR Forum agenda will be emailed to all registered participants prior to the start of the event. It is important to identify the vessel supervisor, or agency contact, on the registration form to ensure accurate information exchanges.
The staff of the 13th annual Steven Todd Dooley SAR Forum is excited about the 2019 agenda. We look forward to meeting our local port partners and establishing a network to enhance the emergency response capabilities within The Port of Virginia and the surrounding Region.
If there is a need for further information, please do not hesitate to contact one of the following individuals or visit the Port of Virginia website portofvirginia.com
Bill Burket – Director, POV MIRT and Emergency Operations
LCDR Renee McKinnon – USCG
Tracy Freeman – Manager, POV MIRT and Emergency Operations