Port of Virginia Maritime Emergency Responders,
The United States Coast Guard – Sector Hampton Roads – and The Port of Virginia Maritime Incident Response Team are pleased to announce the 11th annual Steven Todd Dooley Search and Rescue (SAR) Forum to be held from February 27 – March 3, 2017, at the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina in Hampton, Virginia.
The 2017 SAR agenda will follow the same format as in previous years, including classroom sessions, practical and advanced practical evolutions, two nighttime evolutions and one daylight SAR exercise. A Command Staff and 9-11 Communications track is planned to provide information to regional command and dispatch staff. Vendors will be on-hand throughout the week to provide resources and technical assistance to vessel crews.
The Crowne Plaza Hotel is located at 700 Settlers Landing Rd., Hampton, VA, 23669. The phone number is 1-866-375-6054, group name: VPA 2017 SAR Symposium. Lunch will be provided Monday – Friday and dinner will be provided on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Rooms have been blocked for the event at $89.00 a night. The SAR Forum agenda will be provided, via email, in advance of the event. For now, plan on the following time frames:
- Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 27 – Feb 28: 0800-1700 hours
(Please note, Monday afternoon is scheduled to include underway instruction. Plan your vessel’s arrival accordingly)
- Wednesday and Thursday, March 1 -2: 0800-2300 hours
- Friday, March 3: 0800-1400 hours
All participants are strongly encouraged to book hotel rooms for both Wednesday and Thursday nights due to the scheduled nighttime evolutions. Cut –off date for room rates is Friday, February 17, 2017 Fifteen hour days on Wednesday and Thursday make commuting difficult and impractical.
Fee: There is no charge for this training.
- Limited to 24 vessels with up to four crew members per vessel.
- Two vessel limit per agency unless otherwise approved.
- A separate registration form will be required for each vessel.
- If participants wish to attend without providing a vessel, leave vessel information blank on the registration form and state no vessel in comments section.
- Participants will be assigned to open slots on other vessels.
If there is a need for further information, please do not hesitate to contact one of the following individuals:
Bill Burket, Director, VPA / MIRT
LT Scott Williams, USCG
LT, Hampton Police Department
SAR Command Staff