On March 1, 2018, we launched the PRO-PASS Truck Reservation System (TRS), with mandatory hours at Norfolk International Terminals (NIT). Over the last six weeks, your strong support and cooperation ensured that the TRS facilitated a faster, more efficient on-terminal experience for all motor carrier partners.
Since March 1, 4,209 reservations have been successfully processed at NIT, during mandatory hours, with average turn times of 40 minutes.
While the processes and procedures surrounding the TRS continue to evolve, with regular input from the motor carrier community, we are confident in the success of this important initiative and we are pleased to announce the following:
Beginning Thursday, April 19, 2018, mandatory enforcement at NIT will be extended by one hour.
- Mandatory reservations will be required between 0500 – 0800 hours, Monday – Friday
- Mandatory reservations will be required between 0700 – 1000 hours, Saturday
- Trucks arriving during those hours, without reservations, will be turned away and will not be permitted to queue on terminal property
At NIT North and South, the inbound OCR portals will open at 0430 Monday – Friday and at 0630 on Saturdays.
- No truck queueing will be permitted prior to the opening of the OCR portals
- No overnight parking will be permitted following portal closure on the previous day
TRS reservations are made within a one hour block. During the week, a reservation may be made between 0500 – 0600, 0600 – 0700 and/or 0700 – 0800. A 30-minute grace period will be extended on either side of those one hour blocks.
- Example: A driver with a reservation between 0600 – 0700 may arrive NO EARLIER than 0530 and no later than 0730
- If the same driver arrives at 0520, he is outside his reservation window and will be turned away
- If the same driver arrives at 0740, he is outside his reservation window and will be turned away
- Drivers arriving early for validated reservations (more than 30 minutes prior) will be turned away and will not be permitted to queue on terminal property
- Drivers arriving late for validated reservations (more than 30 minutes after the one hour block) will be turned away and may only return when unrestricted gate hours have resumed, or a new reservation has been validated
During this phase of NIT’s TRS rollout, mandatory reservations will end at 0800 Monday – Friday and 1000 Saturday. Beginning at 0800 (M-F) and 1000 (Sat.), NIT’s truck gates – North and South – will be open to service all trucks, with no reservations required. Recognizing that a certain number of trucks will likely time their NIT arrival as close to 0800 (or 1000) as possible, we have designated a seven acre lot at NIT North (highlighted in red), in proximity to the Drivers’ Assistance building, for short-term truck queuing.
- This unsecured, unstaffed lot will only be available from 0745 – 0800 Monday – Friday and 0945 – 1000 on Saturdays
- The sole purpose of this lot is to facilitate the early arrival of drivers lacking reservations (15 minute window only)
- Use of this lot for any other purposes – staging equipment, parking or queueing at other times – is subject to action by the Port Police
Questions regarding the TRS and/or this announcement should be directed to Nancy Christian – 757-404-7918.
Thank you for your support and flexibility.