Winter Weather Advisory 2 – 12:00 p.m. – January 3, 2018
As Winter Storm Grayson approaches our region, The Port of Virginia is making preparations to ensure the safety of our colleagues, partners and assets. We also want to ensure efficient access to your cargo, within the framework of a safe working environment. A blizzard warning takes effect at 1900 hours tonight, Jan. 3. Current forecasts call for 5-8 inches of accumulating snow in Southeastern Virginia, with the bulk of the snow falling overnight tonight, Jan. 3, and into Thursday morning, Jan. 4. Gale force winds and sub-freezing temperatures will accompany this system.
For Port of Virginia terminals, please be advised of the following:
Wednesday, January 3
- Normal gate and operating hours at NIT, PMT, NNMT and the PPCY
- VIG truck gates – 1700 hours portal closure with an 1800 hours stop (early gate closure at VIG)
- All Port of Virginia truck gates will be CLOSED by 1800 hours tonight, Jan. 3
Thursday, January 4
- Truck gates CLOSED at NIT, VIG, PMT, NNMT and the PPCY
- Richmond Marine Terminal CLOSED
- Virginia Inland Port – OPEN, business as usual
- All administrative offices, including the World Trade Center, CLOSED
By midday on Thursday, January 4, we will make a definitive announcement regarding truck gate status at all Port of Virginia terminals for Friday, January 5.
Truck gates will not re-open before 1300 hours on Friday, January 5.
Based on Thursday’s gate closure, we are committed to working with our ocean carrier partners to address free-time/last free implications, and the impact on the trucking community.
Friday, January 5
- Truck gates in Hampton Roads will not open prior to 1300 hours – earliest possible start
- A decision regarding Friday’s gate hours will be made, and announced, by midday Thursday, Jan. 4
Saturday, January 6
- Committed to extended truck gate hours – details to be announced
Sunday, January 7
- Contingency planning – possible truck gate hours – details to be announced
We are committed to thorough and timely communications with you, our valued customers. Please bookmark this page on our website for regular updates: Port of Virginia Operations Alerts
To subscribe to our text alert updates, please follow these instructions: Port of Virginia Text Alerts
Thank you for your flexibility and support.